ATM – ‘THE CRACK-UP – a summer group show featuring new work by new artists:
SASCHA BRAUNIG, JESSE FARBER, YUI KUGIMIYA, JONATHAN ROTH, LEIGH RUPLE & MATTHEW SAVITSKY
JUNE 25 – JULY 30, 2009
and, yo – YES !! check out that ATM GALLERY LINK – there’s a great photo by PETER SUTHERLAND – on the gallery’s home page !!
for the summer. see: ATM GALLERY
PIX FROM THE ‘CRACK-UP’ OPENING – JUNE 25, 2009:
SASCHA BRAUNIG, with her oil on canvas: ‘No Solutions’, 2009.
. . . . tell me – about it !!
a lot of you might recognize SASCHA as the sweet, smart & apparently – talented !! – art ‘day jobber’ – who so efficiently manned the ATM gallery office for most of last year.
SASCHA BRAUNIG, ‘No Solutions’, 2009. oil on canvas.
Sascha originally hails from British Columbia, Canada.
we crossed paths with Jesse, when we visited MIKE PARE at the ISLIP ARTIST RESIDENCY/STUDIOS on Long Island, this past Spring (2009).
he had a pretty amazing piece – a kind of hollowed-out man-made cave sculpture that sat on a pedestal, and had a secret inner life !!
JESSE FARBER, ‘Our Bones Cave’, 2009.
papier mache, acrylic, digital prints, board. 24 x 27 x 29 in.
inside, JESSE FARBER’S – ‘Our Bones Cave’.
we first met Matthew at that seminal – ‘BOBO’S On 27th ST.’ show – at FOXY PRODUCTION, summer of 2008.
MATTHEW SAVITSKY, with his assemblage, ‘Healing with Purple: Here Lies Helvetica’, 2009 – peeking out. spooky.
MATTHEW SAVITSKY, ‘Healing with Purple: Here Lies Helvetica’, 2009
paint, table, found ornaments, lace, mixed media. dimensions variable.
BILL BRADY with VIRGINIA MARTINSEN.
Bill is going to open the FALL SEASON (2009) with a debut show of abstract paintings by Ms. Martinsen.
the opening is scheduled for – Thurs. Sept 10th (6-8 PM)
YUI KUGIMIYA – had a video animation and several small oil paintings, in the show.
YUI KUGIMIYA, ‘Cat Brushing Teeth’, 2008. animation reel.
single channel video with sound.
LEIGH RUPLE and SASCHA BRAUNIG.
Sascha helped Bill organize the show.
LEIGH RUPLE, ‘ Green House’, oil on canvas. 46 x 34 in.
. . . in the front office – a nod of respect to MICHAEL JACKSON, whose untimely death had just broken on the afternoon news.
PHOTOS: NANCY SMITH
FROM THE HOME PAGE:
* POSTED:WED JULY 22 *
* last 2 weeks – to catch another interesting summer group show of fresh & smart – stuff !! *
* ‘THE CRACK-UP’ at ATM *
* runs thru THURS JULY 30, check the gallery site for summer hrs *
* its a small, but poignant selection !! *
* OK – my fav piece is the eerie painting by SASCHA BRAUNIG – the pretty and super smart young artist, from BRITISH COLUMBIA, CANADA – who manned the ATM reception desk – so well, all last year !! if pressed, my second fav would be the complex piece by JESSE FARBER, whose work we know from that mad, glorious mad ‘BOBO on 27th St.’ installation of last summer. … well, also really dug MATTHEW SAVITSKY’S piece, too. ok. pretty much liked the whole show.
this year – SUMMER HEAT – is all about letting the newest guys – get their chance – and, not just rightfully so. … so, as in: so, so, so ….. FUN !! *
* bye the way, ATM has just posted a link to the most wild YouTube clip – of super black & white artist – TOMOO GOKITA, playing along side his pals: SHINJI CHIBA & the NEW HAWAIIANS !! *
* see: SHINJI CHIBA & NEW HAWAIIANS/YouTube !! *
* and the music, is pretty good, too *
* that’s TOMOO GOKITA in the center, in his signature red cap *
* hope Bill doesn’t get mad – hopefully enough time has passed ? to make public the news – that one of the large TOMOO GOKITA paintings from the recent ATM SPRING 2009 exhibit – ‘CHAMPION CARNIVAL’ – was snatched up almost immediately by LANCE ARMSTRONG !! apparently he has an amazing collection. ok, so, you ask … which piece ?
… it’s the big stunner – called: ‘COMMUNICATION BREAKDOWN’, and you can see it in this: artlovers report !!
. . . scroll down, it’s the big painting – CHUCK CLOSE is contemplating !!